We are working through the process of a mental reset by getting clear on what matters most to us, right now. Could it be time for you to do a mental reset by evaluating what you’ve learned over the last few months? What’s working and what’s not? How do you define success? Has that changed for you? What would a BIG Win look like for you? Is there a meaningful change that will reboot your priorities as you reset your mind? During this current uncertainty, it’s been helpful for us to remember that small successes add up to BIG Wins.
Rather than focus on what you don’t know and can’t answer, create small successes along the journey to accomplish something BIG. Small successes reinforce progress and keep you engaged in moving forward.
How to create BIG wins from small successes:
- DEFINE – When you want to accomplish a personal or work-related change you must begin with a clear definition of success. In addition to defining the win, also get clear on WHY it matters to you.
- PLAN – what are the steps to the BIG win? This is where to build in the small successes. You must have a future goal bigger than the obstacles you face. However, you need milestones along the way to know that you are still on the right path. This is the secret to success. Small wins add up to the BIG win.
- DO – you can’t accomplish anything without action. By clearly defining success and making a plan you have a reasonably good start. Accomplish the BIG win by doing the plan!
- CELEBRATE – rather than wait until the BIG win, celebrate the small successes. Rejoice as each milestone on the plan is completed. Imagine reading a book that had no chapters. After reading twenty pages and then the next fifty, you’d start wondering “are we there yet?” Milestones serve as chapters to mark the progress you’ve made.
- PERSEVERE – research has shown that accomplishment creates resolve and resolve gets results. Too many great ideas go unrealized because they were not fully implemented. The greatest risk of not accomplishing the BIG win is losing the will to persevere.
- ACCOMPLISH – congratulations, you got the BIG win!
You can accomplish a tremendous amount if you start with one step in the right direction. Define where you want to go, create the plan to get there and then take action! Don’t let too much time pass between the milestones or you will get discouraged.
A mental reset can give you the clarity you need to define your BIG Win, then break it into a series of small successes along the way. Watch your motivation grow as you persevere and accomplish your BIG win!