Successful organizations are their own worst enemy when their success breeds inertia. As customers and markets conditions change, organizations must continually renew themselves to remain viable in the future.
The oft quoted definition of insanity is to “continue doing what you are doing while expecting different results.” To renew an organization requires doing something different.
There are five critical leadership actions required to develop competency in simultaneously meeting the challenges of today’s marketplace while maintaining a future focus ready to adapt to continuously changing conditions:
- Get the right people in the right places – increases productivity
- Remove barriers (breakdown silos) – enhances flexibility
- Empower employees – builds employee commitment
- Learn and improve continuously – prevents stagnation
- Shift mindsets and behavior – culture change
Leaders must be courageous to lead this transformational change. Leaders cannot play it safe and hope for something to get better. The pace of change is increasing and if you do not adapt you may perish with the likes of Kodak, Blockbuster and Borders.